Thursday, December 31, 2009

My New Years Resolution

Hello Friends,

It has been a long time since my last post. It is December 31st. It is cold and grey out side. I have spent most of my day inside thinking about the year to come. I think today, the last day of 2009, is a good day to blog.

I have never been one for the idea of New Years Resolutions. I always wait tell the last minute to think of one then forget about it by mid January. Isn't that most of us? I looked around and found the Top 10 New Years Resolutions.

None of them caught my eye. They all seem so inwardly and worldly focused. I think it is a good idea to exercise, and quit smoking ( If I did smoke. Maybe I should start smoking tonight before midnight, then quit tomorrow morning just to say I accomplished something!) You get the idea, these are all good things, but none of them really inspire me to want to stick with them for the entire year.

Then I was reading a blog by Bob Kauflin. He was talking about how his New Years Resolution from last year was to read the entire Bible in one year. He did it! That got my attention. I just got my new ESV Study Bible in the mail today and I love it so far. The notes and maps and charts are great, and really easy to understand. On top of that there are a bunch of different reading plans I can choose from. Check them out here. They make it so easy. You can have them send you a text or email everyday to show you what to read. You can even import the daily schedule into your computer calendar. Half of my excuses just went out the door.

So, that is my New Years Resolution for 2010. To read the entire Bible in one year. I know this is going to take a lot of discipline on my side. I am the king of making excuses not read Scripture. My attention span is not something to envy. I pray that God molds and refines me through this experience. I pray it does instill a greater sense of discipline with in me when it comes to my faith. I also know from God's word that it will not return void. I pray that this will help me see Jesus in a new and moving way. I do not want to simply fill my head with Biblical knowledge and be able to say "I have read the entire Bible, what about you?" I so do not want to become that guy. If that is my desire I pray God convicts me of my sin and humbles my hard heart. I am sure that knowledge will be gained, but I do not want that to be the motivating force behind it.

Also, since I am a worship leader this is crucial to my calling in life. It is not my music that I want people to be changed by on Sunday mornings, rather the out pouring of God's good and holy word. I figure it will pour through me more freely if I am reading large portions of it each day.

I figure I can spend 30 minutes a day reading my Saviors Word. I spent way more than that time reading in college. My facebook and twitter time may suffer though. I think it is worth the sacrifice. Blessings to you and yours in 2010.

In HIs Grip,

Anthony

No comments: